Meeting new students every day in my office during all hours of the school day helped me to remember who was who, even though I still now occasionally forget or mix up names. October was now the month to get adjusted to running the after-school programs as well as helping students during the school day. October was also our first area visit by our JVC Program Coordinator to check-in with how our placements were going.
It’s a funny thing to think back on and remember how we were as a person or how we envision things will go, once it has passed and you realized how you’ve changed, grown and learned from the simple things. That’s starting to become more and more prevalent in my work and my day to day life as a JV. I’m not working to end homelessness or poverty or hunger. I don’t see drastic change or big moments happen. But I am learning to see hope in the simplest things we often take for granted. A heart-felt conversation. Words of encouragement. Seeing teens care about their education. A simple thank you with a smile. A parent who tells their child they’re proud of them. A cheerful, “Good morning Miss!” A beautiful sunset. The crisp air when the seasons change. October was full of changes and surprises, but I’m grateful for the friendships, relationships, and lessons learned.
 |
| Breaking the fast for Yom Kippur! Delicious! |
 |
| Celebrating Mary's birthday! |
 |
| It's not fall without visiting a pumpkin patch! |
 |
| So many crazy gourds! |
 |
| Mary's first time apple picking! |
 |
| Yay fall! |
 |
| We all volunteered at a community center Haunted House for Halloween! Scary! |
No comments:
Post a Comment