So, since my positive hopes of blogging through a year of being a JV has unfortunately gone to the wayside, I am back from the new year to try and relate in words how incredibly unique and eye opening my experience has become!
And in case you were wondering from my cliff hanger post in August: the hurricane storm “Irene” just gave us a mess of leaves, branches and fallen trees. We were few of the fortunate neighborhoods to not lose power for days and even weeks after the storm. And luckily, our Former Jesuit Volunteer (FJV) liaison came over with a puzzle to help pass time!
![]() |
| Finished puzzle after six hours! |
So, after a wonderful and reviving weekend earlier this month in the snowy hills of Pennsylvania, JVC Re-Orientation allowed me to reflect on the past five months working as a JV and adjusting to life in CT. And yes, my lack of blogging was something I regretfully reflected on… Let me begin by recalling the main events from each month. And thanks to my wonderful community member, Jamie, whom I’ve borrowed photos from (since my camera broke in Sept) you can also enjoy a visual glimpse of the mysterious life of a Jesuit Volunteer:
SEPTEMBER: The month of a new city life, new faces, new friendships, new smiles, new students, new cultures, new food, new habits, new routines, new outlooks, and new slang. The month of old prejudices, old stereotypes, old abandoned businesses, old deteriorating school buildings, old outdated books, old inadequate teachers, old useless policies, old air toxins, old contaminated land, and old expectations of education.
Slowly, but surely, we, the ladies of Bpt, are learning more and more about the people, places, and numerous cultures that make up this incredible city:
![]() |
| Visiting Hartford for the UConn vs. Fordham football game with free tickets! |
![]() | ||
| The girls at Pirate Day at Captain's Cove (minus Annie) |
![]() |
| Kate's beautiful hand-painted candles for Rosh Hashanah |
Let’s just say September made me think about why I’m really here; why I chose this year. And here’s my answer for now: If I don’t force myself to be uncomfortable with why society is the way it is and peel back the layers of structural injustice, to really uncover why prejudice and racism are alive as ever, to understand that there are millions of people in this country that are not that different than I am, then what good is the life God gave me? If we’re only here on this earth for a short lifetime, I want to feel connected to others, understand their lives, and help give a voice to those unable to speak out.










No comments:
Post a Comment