I think I’ve mentioned this about a million times already (and I’m sure I’ll keep on repeating myself), but I feel so incredibly blessed that as a key component to JVC, there is an abundant amount of support from everyone that has any sort of connection to JVC. Our own Bridgeport JVC support has been beyond helpful, supportive and welcoming us newcomers into this city. Many of them have been supporting the Bridgeport JVs for years and some only a few, but their enthusiasm and unyielding love for us is ever present in our gatherings.
![]() |
| Bridgeport girls with our JVC support! |
On Sunday, the day before we started our first day of (real) work, our JVC support came over for a potluck dinner complete with savory hamburgers (thanks to John and Laura’s grill-master skills) and lots of leftovers! Our conversations flowed from reminiscing about our hometowns, colleges, and the new concept of humidity (ick), to discussing the current happenings in the education sector, politics and the constant stream of social justice issues that flood the city.
We’ve been learning so much already about all the ins and outs of Bridgeport’s history, that all of us girls have been researching where to find more information to become informed on the current issues that plague our work sites. Only by educating ourselves, can we understand what we can do to create a change in the system. Maybe this enthusiasm is from my lack of constant brain stimulation from college, but either way, I’m eager to learn as much as I can to understand our greater community of Bridgeport.
We ended the day with our very first Spirituality night, facilitated by the wonderful Jamie, and it was, in my eyes, exactly what we needed to refresh our minds and spirits before beginning our very first day of work! It felt comforting to share with one another on a more personal level, especially since we are not all of the same faith traditions or beliefs. And because we’ve acknowledged that it’s an open and safe atmosphere, we were all able to feel that we can share openly. I just hope that as the year becomes more hectic and crazy, that I’ll still be able to center myself and experience future Spirituality nights with the same peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment