Thursday, August 11, 2011

And it begins...

I'm here!!! It's funny to think that at home I'd still be sleeping for a good couple hours, whereas here, it's almost 10:30am. On the 5 hour flight over to my first layover I probably got a combined amount of 1 or 2 hours of sleep due to the usual cramped plane seats and a small child sitting behind me that right as I could feel myself drift finally to sleep, she would start to cry (or more like scream). I felt so bad for her mother, but honestly, what she sounded like on the outside was what I felt like on the inside about being uncomfortable and wanting sleep. You'd think after all my travels throughout Europe I'd have mastered the art of sleeping on a plane in uncomfortable positions, but for some reason my hips just couldn't get comfortable enough for me to sleep! It was rather frustrating. My second flight was a short hour over to Baltimore and surprisingly, I slept almost the whole way!

It's still so strange that I'm already starting my journey. I remember the first time when I left home for college; I was so excited to be starting school at a university, in a new city, and meeting new friends. I think because I had been to the campus before, my family was helping me move in, and home was only a short distance away, that it didn't seem too scary to be starting a new chapter in my life. Now, as I sit here in the airport, thousands of miles from home, by myself, going to a new city I've never been to and starting a new job that can have experiences as unique as each person... it's a little nerve-wracking. But I know that I want to be here. This year as a JV will be not only challenging, but inspiring, because I know that I can help to be a part of change in others' lives.

Now I just have to wait until the bus gets here that will take me and everyone flying here to the retreat center where we'll have Orientation for the next 5 days, so I probably won't be able to post until after that's over and I'm settled into our house in Bridgeport! So long for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment